The important role of an internal pelvic health examination
At Willow Health Centre, we believe that directly assessing the pelvic floor is critical to determining how weak or tight the muscles are. An internal vaginal and/or rectal exam is part of the initial assessment and internal techniques can be an important part of pelvic health treatment sessions. When the pelvic floor is assessed with an internal examination, treatments are proven to be significantly more successful.
As physiotherapists, we would never treat your shoulder without looking at the shoulder muscles. The pelvic floor muscles are just like other muscles in your body – and they should be assessed directly by a highly trained health professional.
Tegan Vermey is a highly sensitive professional who will discuss these issues with you thoroughly before carrying out the treatment.
Pelvic Health Assessments can include:
- Comprehensive assessments of the low back, pelvis, and hip joints
- Core strength assessments
- Pelvic floor muscle strength and endurance testing
- Pelvic floor assessment for shortened/tight muscles and their related soft tissue
- Scar tissue assessment (from abdominal surgeries, C-section scars, episiotomies or perineum tearing)
- Lifestyle assessments, including bowel and bladder habits
Pelvic Health Treatments can include:
- Manual techniques to help normalize pelvic floor muscle tone and strength
- Manual techniques to help restore normal low back, pelvic, and hip joint mechanics
- Lifestyle modifications to help normalize bowel and bladder habits
- Exercises to help improve pelvic floor muscle function
- Exercises to help improve core strength
- Exercises to help correct abdominal weakness and separation